Sunday, January 25, 2009

This is Madness!

Remember these following words from just over a week ago. "Everyone talks about the lack of sleep you usually get before your first marathon; not I." Well here I am, awake at 3:38 AM. Over an hour before my alarm. A ball of nerves over my second marathon. A true Marathon Maniac would most likely laugh at my plight.

Everything in life seems to be training for the next thing. What lessons did I learn during the Disney World Marathon and will I be able to employ them as necessary for this race? Because the Callaway gardens Marathon is a smaller event with not as much support as WDW, I am considering it as training for my future planned ultra-marathons. It seems like a completely opposite experience is about to happen. Just 14 days ago I was surrounded by over 15 thousand people, yet today I will be with about 300 runners, with about 150 of them going past the half mark, which may make the marathon quite lonely at the end.

I am looking forward to doing an event in my own "backyard" as it is only an hour away and it is not in a big city like Atlanta. But my nerves kept me tossing all night. Pre-race prep yesterday include some much needed maintenance on my venerable '96 Thunderbird, and it seems like I remembered where all the screws came from as there were none left when I got done. Maybe that is causing me some concern also.

It will be a nice 38 degrees when I get to Callaway Gardens, so it will be chilly, but doable with just light gloves at gun time. So much little stuff to run through the brain that I think the wheels are smoking!

It's now time to get everything going. Happy Running!

1 comment: