Sunday, March 6, 2011

Snickers Marathon 2011 (Quick - Inital Report)

5 March 2011
Another awesome Snickers Marathon!

I went out as a pacer today (read: "semi-bandit"). I offered up helping Maniac Jill to a new PR, but I have to admit...she did all the work. Dan (Almost a Maniac) came over from Air Force training in Al-A-Bam-A, and despite his nagging calf, our group held tight formation the entire way.

I have described Snickers as being a very flat course. Perhaps it was the exhilaration of doing so well on this course a year ago. Maybe it was a blur of exhaustion and adrenaline. Or I offer up that it is flatter than most of the routes that I train on. I will reiterate that I do think the course is flat. I will admit there are a few more inclines than I remember... all 3 or 4 of them! It still has downhill last half mile finish... and only one incline could I even remotely call a hill. That all being said, I was reminded that I described the course as flat any time we hit an incline. In my defense, even the Flint River bridge is flat... really... Really!

Rainy days and Sunday may always get Karen Carpenter down, but Rainy Days and Saturdays were made for PR's, and a whole lot of people I know, including Jill got a PR on this course. Great meeting all the Maniacs, especially #1515 on the course and racer #769 "Jen" at mile 16. She saw me looking up Facebook shout-outs on my Crackberry and "phone jacked" me!

The weather was gloomy, but a light dusting of rain mid-course helped keep us on pace. Carmin said we did 26.22 in 4:38, but the markings on the course had us out there a bit farther. I didn't know not running right on the tangents could take us 5 extra minutes!

"HooAh!," I would grunt out to all the Marines that were out supporting the race. "HooRah!" they would shout back. No... I said HOOAH!

Bottom Line: Marathon #12(.0) in an official "unofficial" 4:43:34. 

No comments: