Saturday, April 18, 2009

Race Prep for the 10K

Anyone else partaking in a race this weekend? (I know a few people from my Runner's World threads that are going out for races other than the "Big One" on Monday.)

I confirmed my registration with the helpful people at Country's BBQ here in Columbus, GA for tomorrow's Celebrity Classic River Run 5K and 10K. I went with the 10K option, and hope to break my PR at that distance. Training hasn't been the best over the last week, but with only 25.5 miles for the week, my legs should be good. I almost jammed my knee on a trail run Wednesday going up a small hill and felt a minor "twinge" from it Thursday one time during my 9.4 miler. So far, so good though. If my hip holds steady then I should be good for 6.2 fast miles.

My Strategy ... McMillan's gives me a possible sub-38 10K if I can do what I did in Panama City Beach's 5K last weekend. That would require a steady 6:00 pace. That is possible, but I tend to think I'll be doing 6:15 per mile if I can get in with a good group like I did last time. There is one solid hill which is tough going down and tougher coming back up, but if I can clear that with little problems, than I should be able to maintain. Now I just need to pray for all the other race factors; weather; humidity; temperature; wind; and my personal feel. I plan on reconnoitering the race (especially the hill) at a very slow pace at 7:00 AM and will line up with the 10K race leaders just like I did last weekend ... with my fingers crossed.

Gels and caffeine. I have tapered off caffeine this week, taking in no coffee or tea today.

I plan on tea at 05:30 and hitting coffee at around 7:00 AM and a gel during my final stretch drills at 7:50. I'll have a gel on me (for about 2 miles in) but I may not use it. If I don't use it by 10-14 minutes in, then there's no reason to do it.

Finally, pace: Again, like the 5K. Start out quick and hold onto the leaders until I'm near the red line; back down to the high 85-88 percent effort for the duration and start a built up during the final mile until the last .2, where I have trained on running up-hill on my street for the final distance. I should be able to give a good kick.

Happy Racing!

1 comment:

Progman2000 said...

Wow, tapering off of caffeine, you are hard core. Good luck on the 10K!