Sunday, November 15, 2009

A Last Long Training Run

A cool, foggy morning set the tone for the beginning of this weekends long training run. Mystery, intrigue, and a few surprises would appear on today's run.
Motivation was not a key element when I left on the long run today. It will be my last 20+ mile run before the Atlanta Marathon on Thanksgiving. I walked out the foreboding doorway and started down the road eating a banana while Carmin warmed up. She felt the thrill of racing and I jogged down the "Hill of Doom" and out in the mist of the day to the Riverwalk.
At around mile 4 I looked over my shoulder and the sun was cutting a line on the horizon through the clouds and fog. The long line of lights leading off into the tall GA evergreens made a picturesque moment and I stopped to pull out my phone and take a picture. As I was finishing a message about finding my motivation and about to send it to FaceBook (texting and running, a first for me), I hit a snag in the route. At mile 5-½ the Riverwalk had been flooded over with no route around. I came back off the course and hit the South Columbus neighborhoods and ran a mile until I got to Rigdeon Park and was able to get back on the Riverwalk. During the next 4+ miles I hit mixed patches of mud where the water had receded and got slightly muddy. I actually passed a man on a muddy bridge as he tried to keep from slipping around. He looked over and said, "How'd you do that?" as I went by.
I made it in time to link up with the Columbus Road Runners who had decided to run the Riverwalk north to the lake, a slightly hillier route. I keep with friends and maintained a good long run pace throughout the next 5-½ miles, up, up and up some hills to the lake. We ran back and I finished strong near the CRR meeting place in Up-Town "C"-town.
As we were finishing up, I got a burst of motivation for my last mile as a large group of high school bands and JROTC kids were getting ready for a parade. They were staged at the Phenix City Amphitheater across the river and the bands music could be heard throught the wood by the river that the path takes.  By the time I reached them, I was at full speed asking them to pump me up. One of the bands was playing "Superman," which was pretty cool as I ran by.
Had a great run of 22.66 miles in 3 hours and 18 minutes. Running Log

Rising temps, dropping humidity.
T: 47º-59º; H: 91-69%; DP 45º-49º; WT: 179

No comments: