Saturday, October 22, 2011

Life is Like a ...





Full of ups and downs, twists and loops. Even though you've studied the park map, sometimes you get so caught up in it all you loose all your bearings. Life turned upside down.

Despite the fact that the Kingdom lost a major player, today professionally was a good day. It was one that left me felling good about what I'm doing over here, where I completely enjoyed my time with everyone I met and everything I did. Perhaps it was because some of it had to do with being on familiar territory, walking around checking out Army stuff just like I would for the US.   

Despite the fact that I am working through on of the worst injuries that a runner can have (P.F.), I had the greatest run I've had in months over my "Saudi weekend." I enjoyed my time on the same roads that I have run over and over again. Perhaps it was because I found that familiar place where I was able to relax and enjoy the purest form of running available. Not on the clock, not feeling pressure... just able to run pain free like I haven't been able to do in over a month.


I have not been able to keep up with my fitness goals as I would have liked, but I have been able to climb out of a "funk" that has had me feeling upset about my assignment here. As my goals change, I find myself focusing on what I have succeeded at ... and am glad for what I am doing. Life is twisting and turning but luckily it feels like it's climbing up that great big hill. In anticipation, I hold my breath, hoping for a great ride!

Accomplished:

  • Enrolled in Arabic classes ... and actually picking it up! Bit by bit, slowly and steadily.
  • Earning trust with the commanders I deal with. Bit by bit, slowly...
  • 1/2 marathon completed - officially. The USAF HM (Deployed). Received a medal and everything; many, many loops on the Village compound we live on.
  • The summer is over. I may have felt like Frosty the Snowman at times, but I survived.

No comments: