This weeks TIaRT is about running mistakes. WOW! It sure sucks to be everyone else who makes mistakes.That's what I would be writing if I didn't have a small shopping list of mistakes that I have made in my running. How can something that seems so natural have errors? All I have to do is reference my race reports to let you know that I have logged many "lessons learned" from my adventures in organized racing.
But more importantly is how those errors during a race are brought about by mistakes in everyday training. So I offer to you my number one running mistake.
Over-training.
Running is a sport that does come naturally to me ... to some degree. But beyond that, to compete with the back of the pack Kenyans, I have to train. To train involves a plan, which I created through 3 sources. In the build up to my first marathon, I was constantly tweaking my plan, and even though I was getting great advice, I often kept ignoring the big nuggets.
Don't over-train. Easy runs are easy runs. Search my feelings, I know it to be true. Yet, ahead I would blaze, only relaxing my long runs buy about 45 seconds of each mile. I never got the full healing effect after a harder day of intervals or tempos.
I wanted to run naturally, like a wild animal. Listen to my heart, my mind will follow. And I was getting faster, but not by much. Sure, with more mileage, my endurance increased. But that's going to happen when your adding more and more each week.
Then came the marathons. My first was an outstanding effort, but short of my secret time goals. Then came heartbreak as my second mary went worse for me. It was then that I knew I needed a rest. Not from racing, but from training so hard.
Presently, and slowly, I have begun a new training routine. Looking at new strategies that most importantly include easy runs being easy runs and rest to rebuild after hard workouts. The results have been amazing as my times on both short runs (2 mile and 5K) and long tempo runs have reduced drastically. I have also noticed that my new found awareness of how I run a race have helped me "run my race." I keep to my plan better and work at doing what I've needed to do for a long time. Keep to my race plan, and stick with it throughout the race.
I owe it all to the mistakes I made earlier this year and through my failures, and applied rest, I am now succeeding.
Happy Running!
1 comment:
I think everyone makes this mistake! Trying to do too much too soon.
Post a Comment