Friday, July 31, 2009

My Endurance Weekend

or ... Training gone Wild.

Hi there!
It has been awhile, but I have been in the pitched battle of insane training for future marathons and ultra-marathons. Thanks to a little questing from my awesome Spartan clan and Mr. Andrew E., I have decided to spread some love to this forgotten page.

This post is long, so go get a cold one if you need it.

First off ... don't get injured, everyone. That goes for me, too! There are to many great runners and racers out in blog land giving advice that nobody should be getting injured. As I've said before, leave the "insanity" to me. I've got plenty of it to go around!!!

Speaking of insane, I did a self proclaimed, "Endurance Weekend" over this last Saturday and Sunday. The list of races were: 10 Mile (Fort Benning Army 10-Miler team tryout); Make it By Midnight Marathon, and a XTerra 10K Trail run. (42.4 total miles.)

Folks ... Don't try this at home!

1st up: Fort Bennings' Army Ten Miler team tryout, #3. This would be my second ... and last chance to make the team. My time from before was good, but with cooler weather, all the freaks showed up for this 3rd running of a tough, hilly, 10 mile course. Something wasn't right with me that day, but I buckled down and got ready to go. 20 of us were competing, and I was in with the fast crowd this time around. I shaved almost 3 minutes (68) off my previous score, but I was upset that I couldn't give more. Again, the Spartan clan was there to cheer me on at the end, and my showing kept me in contention for a spot.

The Clan then loaded up and went to take DD#1 to a camp in North Georgia, whilst I headed east to Macon. It was there I met up with Marathon Maniacs Andrew S. and Deb who were hosting the Make it by Midnight Marathon. 6 loops on hilly streets. The mental games of the hills, the heat and the dark started to play with my mind, but in the end, I completed 26.2 miles, won a tiara (Yeah!) and got a cooler medal from this race with a max load of 25, then at the Callaway Gardens Marathon! Garmin time - 4:31, actual clock time 5:06. ***I had to stop each loop at the refuel table, as the spread was great. This was being put on by MM's and Ultra Marathon runners ... salty foods, sweet foods, PB&J's, fruit, cereal bars. Anything!
I gave up a ton of Gatorade, but next year I'll donate something with more thought. I met another DisneyRunning member there, and had a great time talking with everyone.

I went to bed at 2 AM, after helping Andrew drive around and pick up all the signs. My hip was a bit sore, and 6 AM came too fast.

Finally (Do I ever shut-up?), I woke up, stretched and got rolling to the 10K. After a little walking around, my tight hip went away. I thought I'd gotten enough fuel in me the night before but this race would prove me wrong. I did a 1 mile warm-up, and felt great. When we started, I stayed easy and let the field develop before making too many moves. By one mile, I was in good form and slowly picking off people one-by-one, even while entering the single track trails. These were technical, but they were great. For the longest time I was right on the heels of a really fast lady. I couldn't pass, as she matched my every push. After almost a mile of chasing her down, I did something that I haven't had happen to me in a long time.

My left foot came down in the wrong spot, and I tumbled forward, losing a lot of momentum right before a hill. As I scrambled to get up to speed I got passed by a couple of dudes. I wasn't hurt, I wasn't bleeding, and I had taken the fall well, but somehow my race all started to fall apart there. :( By mile 3, I was getting side-stitches, and had gone to walk-jog intervals. I hoped to regain more strength from my walk breaks, but it was no use. Even at the aid-station, after downing both Gatorade and water, I couldn't get to speed. I came in a paltry 1:02.

But, I survived the weekend ... and I am now recovered. After taking two days off, and running 5 miles (carrying my Army Battalions colors for over 3 miles) on Wednesday, I can say I'm ready to go out and hit the streets again. If only it would stop raining when I get off work!
Happy Racing!

1 comment:

Andrew is getting fit said...

Holy crap that's insane indeed! But well done to you.