Yep! I must be Goofy!This weekend are my last planned long runs. Runs, yes plural. But I need to add just a bit more background to flesh out this story.
My training for the Walt Disney World '09 marathon will enter the "taper" phase starting as soon as I complete my last 20 (or more) mile run on Sunday. But to keep with my insane plans, I wanted to do a 13-15 mile run on Friday to continue maintaining my base mileage.
Then a light bulb went off in my mind! I'll do my own "Goofy" this weekend as my last gung ho long run! So many people were able to sign up for both the marathon and half marathon, which in Disney speak is called the Goofy Challenge. This wasn't a choice for me because Household-6 is running the half and we needed to switch out kid patrol duties.
And thus, I have given myself a reason for a pre-taper mental health visit!
People may say, "This is Madness!" I respond, "This … is … Sparta!"
So today began the first phase. The Half Marathon distance "Donald Duck" phase. Quackers is what I have become, but my mini-challenge was now laid out before me.
It gave me a chance to test out all my systems before the marathon. Are the shoes still a good fit? Have I got the right clothes that I want? Will my hydration plan work? We runners are anal retentive about everything. Even the GA weather is currently simulating the projected weather for the FL marathon!
As I went down the road, I imagined where I would be at just a little over 3 weeks from now. My path around the World Showcase, the turns I would be making. I imagined the long stretch up World Drive to Magic Kingdom and tried to keep my form good for all the photographers that will be out there. I don't plan on stopping for a lot of characters, but I am looking for Mickey in his Safari outfit somewhere near Animal Kingdom. I'm stopping for him, for sure.
13.8 miles later, I returned to the house, injury free. Feeling great! I ran the imaginary "Donald" and I believe I got an eye roll from Household-6 when I told her about my personal Goofy Challenge.
I deserve it!
Bottom line: 13.8 in 1:45:02 at an average pace of 7:37; or a half in 1:36:42.
2 comments:
There was no eye roll. A little Goofy envy, maybe. A little jealousy over how great running makes you feel vs how I feel after running, maybe. A little awestruck that you're actually doing a Goofy of your own, sure. But no eye roll on this one.
Just try to keep the obsession in check, ya hear?
That sounds so great!
Post a Comment