
A Merry Christmas has come by the Spartan clan, and the chillin's are happy with all their new loot. Even Household-6 is enjoying the Wii's Dance-Dance Revolution! Both the devilish daughters even hopped onto after-Christmas sales and saved some of their gift money, staying within their meager budgets. Just enough that I won't have to turn the toaster upside-down to get the crumbs for a few more carbs pre-workout!
I'm joking, I joke. the American economy is going back up, right? Right?
In the last week I have gone from a personal "Goofy" want-a-be to ... a personal "Goofy" want-a-be. Last Sunday, on my last 20+ mile run, I had an ankle pain come up at the last minute. I actually listened to myself and stopped my run short at 17 miles. The pain is now refereed to as "Achilles tender-nitis." It's not a chronic case, and I would not even call it an acute case, for there is nothing cute about having to apply R-I-C-E to a nagging injury. And I know we can all attest that being nagged on is really annoying.
I had to do regular Army PT with my new unit Monday through Wednesday, which has been a joke, so I didn't stress out the ankle anymore. I tested the legs out Wednesday afternoon, and had a decent run of 9.4 miles. On a pain scale of 1 (no pain) to 10 (Crying like a little ...) it ranked about a 3. Back to R-I-C-E for Christmas Day and Christmas After Sales day.
And so I took mild doses of ibuprofen and performed nurse duties to my ankle. I swore off hill runs and told myself that the only trail that I will be going on will be the hoax-trail looking paths at Disney's Animal Kingdom on the 11th of January. Miles 15-17(?) of the marathon. I was at peace with all of that ... and I went for a test-the-ankle run yesterday.
After a mile of walking with some light jogging, I felt good and picked up the pace. By mile two, I was at almost normal speed with only slight discomfort. I had some brief moments of the tendon barking some, but for the most part, Achilles did his job and I didn't end up shooting myself in the foot. 6 miles later, I was home, nursing myself and feeling like I might just be able to pull this recovery thing off!
To Household-6. Thank you for your patience with me and my O.C.D. called running. I know how you hate to hear about more races and more training in the future. I love you and the girls and you are my support! Thank you!
Now lets get this week over with so we can get down to Disney World and earn our Mickey and Donald bling-bling!
2 comments:
I am constantly battling with my achilles, I have come to accept it as a byproduct of my running. I met Bill Rodgers at the Philly Marathon expo and asked him if he ever had achilles issues. He said "Yes - you have to attack the injury - ice, ice and more ice. Attack it and eventually it will relent". So there is advice for you from a guy who won Boston four times.
Good luck - you will be more than ready by the time you're at the starting line.
Post a Comment