
"Have to catch my breath." That's what I was saying this morning when I slowed down for a recovery from my second speed runs interval. The humidity again was higher than what I was used too, and I found myself pondering, "just how long is the acclimazation going to take?"
A 3/4 mile warm up, then a 1 mile speed run in 7:07, which should have been in 6:50-something. Then a 1/2 mile recovery, and a second 1 mile speedrun which took 7:16 ... yikes. I thought my recovery was going to have me pull a lung up out through my mouth, but I finally started breathing oxygen again, and after a jog of 1.75 miles, I finished up with my 5 mile speedwork run.
I sound like a new or beginning runner, but this change in climate has really messed me up. And to think that it is just 1 day shy of me being back here for 3 weeks. When we first landed on the 17th it wasn't this HOT or HUMID but it sure got this way pretty fast. The other thing is, I used to run sub 14:00 2 mile runs without extra training here on Kelley Hill, Fort Benning, GA and in Iraq I was still nailing a 6:25 1 mile as little as 2 months ago.
Just like everything, it seems ... this deployment seems to be the hardest to get over.
On RunnersWorld.com I posted an answer about favorite drinks while racing. I answered:
Wow, am I going to get blasted for this ...I like a mix of Mountain Dew and Rip It (3:2 ratio) That's not to take away from water or sports drinks, it's more of an addition too. I caution not to rely on anything that has a lot of taurine in it, as that it is basically a chemical naturally produced and related to bile. Discussions I actually wasn't flamed or blasted and told of ultra-marathoners getting Coke or Mountain Dew on their races.
PT tonight: ABS. HOOAH!
A 3/4 mile warm up, then a 1 mile speed run in 7:07, which should have been in 6:50-something. Then a 1/2 mile recovery, and a second 1 mile speedrun which took 7:16 ... yikes. I thought my recovery was going to have me pull a lung up out through my mouth, but I finally started breathing oxygen again, and after a jog of 1.75 miles, I finished up with my 5 mile speedwork run.
I sound like a new or beginning runner, but this change in climate has really messed me up. And to think that it is just 1 day shy of me being back here for 3 weeks. When we first landed on the 17th it wasn't this HOT or HUMID but it sure got this way pretty fast. The other thing is, I used to run sub 14:00 2 mile runs without extra training here on Kelley Hill, Fort Benning, GA and in Iraq I was still nailing a 6:25 1 mile as little as 2 months ago.
Just like everything, it seems ... this deployment seems to be the hardest to get over.
On RunnersWorld.com I posted an answer about favorite drinks while racing. I answered:
Wow, am I going to get blasted for this ...I like a mix of Mountain Dew and Rip It (3:2 ratio) That's not to take away from water or sports drinks, it's more of an addition too. I caution not to rely on anything that has a lot of taurine in it, as that it is basically a chemical naturally produced and related to bile. Discussions I actually wasn't flamed or blasted and told of ultra-marathoners getting Coke or Mountain Dew on their races.
PT tonight: ABS. HOOAH!
1 comment:
Kinda funny reading about your being worried that a bunch of skinny runners would "flame" you for posting that you like your unique beverage, considering you recently RETURNED FROM COMBAT!!!! Hooah, thank you for your service. Drive on, Airborne!
Post a Comment