I started this week implementing my new training schedule with some new focus on my running to help improve. Taking lessons learned from my training last year, I am able to concentrate on achieving better results due to seeing what did or did not work for me and changing what may work for me to get better "returns."Today, I had planned to do either a tempo run or intervals on the track, as I was not ready due to a bad cold on Sunday to hit intervals on Monday. I got my chance to run intervals as our unit went to Doughboy Stadium (Pictured here in it's early 1928 days.)
My plan to run 6 x 800 meter intervals was cut due to time, but I was able to plan for 4 x 800's. Once warmed up after a short run to the stadium and 2 laps there, I started my first 800. In my initial burst of speed, I started out too fast, and I knew it by 300 meters and slowed down a bit. Instead of recoveries by time, I went for runs of 400 meters. Without a Garmin, HR monitor or anything fancier than hitting my lap button at the start and finish of each 800, my second, third and forth split only had a difference of 2 seconds.
Having new training goals really made the workout feel good. My splits were 2:41.3, 2:54.6, 2:55.5, and 2:56.7. That's a little quicker than my McMillan running 2:57 to 3:05 goal times, but I felt good with them, hard and challenging, but still not drop dead exhaustion.
For note, another great workout at Doughboy stadium is running the stairs!
Happy Running (intervals!)
No comments:
Post a Comment