Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Training Plans

At 15 weeks out from the WDW marathon, I find myself again reviewing my training plan. I've looked at a couple of different models, and find myself pondering over a few options.

I have used Smart Coach on Runner's World.com and usually find myself modifying the program to my specifications. With my latest base mileage patterns and results from other races, the training seems right, except that the mileage seems a bit high just to maintain the base.

On the other foot are the training programs right out of Dean Karnazes' book, "50/50", which I finally finished and will have to review when I have more time. In the back of the book are a couple of sample programs for beginners and intermediates. As I look them over, I like the lower mileage on the non-long run days. It gives me more room to add extra mileage on as I see fit as the listed 5 miles is actually a pretty easy run for me to crank out.

Just like I have been doing up to this point, I have been weighing my options and then modifying speed work and tempo run times based off the results I get from the McMillan Running Calculator. I also bounce the overall calendar off the schedules I've seen in other books I've read.

EIB site preparation took a fair amount of my time yesterday, which I told my friend was "yard work" :) We cleared the paths to our testing areas which required cutting two fallen trees and getting rid of roots. We also had to move sandbags. Too bad I'm clearing out a trail run, but I have pondered how far around the EIB site it would be running the paths the entire group of us had to clear. Here are a few pictures of our work.




Night run. Just was not feeling like burning myself out this morning, so I took my (now becoming too familiar) route around main post. There was hardly any "illum" (moon) out tonight, so I had my multi colored LED light with me to see the way and ward off cars that come to close. The white light is actually to powerful for running the trail at night, to which and I prefer the blue light. (So many options!)

Break it down: Pace for the first 5 miles @ 7:42, 6 & 7 @ 8:43, 8 @ 7:36, last 1.4 @ 8:06

I pondered getting 9 miles in 1 hour, but on my latest runs that doesn't seem to be happening. Not sure what I was on the other day when I had almost 8.6 in one hour!

Bottom Line: 9.38 in 1:14:09 @ an avg. 7:55 (Got to slow it down a bit?)

2 comments:

Progman2000 said...

Whatever you decide on plan-wise, you are going to kick serious ass at WDW. You are putting in some serious training - with 15 weeks to go you are going to be in peak condition (just try not to over do it, easier said than done!).

Spartan7 said...

I appreciate your kind words. I keep the over training and possible injury thoughts in the back of my head, especially since I am guiding my troops through all the physical stuff for their current training. Here's to hoping my legs don't just fall off like Forrest Gumps' leg braces!

"It happens ... sometimes."