I rolled up at 05:00 and luckily there were only about 5 people already there, and a couple in a jeep. when more people started showing up, I took my folding chair and parked in line. The sun was starting to come up at about 7:30 and I ran into a guy who I'd served with in Kosovo and the invasion of Iraq. At 8, the doors opened and we got the green light. At the door, my friend and I got the red light! Because of our rank, we were not allowed in until 0900! So, 3 hours of my life in a camp chair, so I could wait for another hour. Uniforms are expensive when they are brand new and I needed to get some in my new size. The downfall of losing weight is having to buy clothes that fit!
End results: only one uniform jacket as they were out of pants and was able to get a set of winter physical training uniforms (long pants and jacket), PT cap, clothing bag, belt and glove liners at $30.00. That would have been about $120.00 brand new!
HouseHold 6 and I picked up the girls at school and headed to Smith Gym. My wife gets together with her friends on Friday and they gab while the kids swim. The gym overlooks Stewart Field and the 1 mile track, so you know where I went. All day, I had planned for loftier goals for my run, but at 1530 in the afternoon, my options were getting thin.
Friday's tempo run in a nut shell (by a nut case.)
I had to make a pit stop at mile 3. Seems that the mid-day runs mess with my system. I never quite got my groove on after that. I should be aimimg for tempo splits of 7:11 or lower and I think that with a fresh morning start and cooler than the 83 degree weather I could hit that. I did check my 10K time and passed 6.2 miles in a respectable training time so I can start tuning up for my 10K race on the 18th.
After the run, I changed into a swimming suit and did 50 meter laps. 15 minutes later, I was pretty wore out. (Who am I joking, 2 minutes later I wore out!) I have no delusions of grandeur for speed in a pool. I am a strong swimmer, but my teenage speed days are gone. The water was not very cold, but I could feel cramp pains trying to peek out.
I left the lap pool and went to the pool where the kids were playing. I joined my youngest and we had fun until I got this really killer cramp in my right quad. Ouch! I'd had enough of trying to fight off the cramps.
Bottom line: 8 mile tempo run in 59:57, at an overall average pace of 7:30. 50M laps x 14 in approximately 15:30.
Follow on pictures:
Follow on pictures:
My youngest working on her knitting!


No comments:
Post a Comment