Friday
It rained throughout Thursday night and continued into Friday, which was the last day for the EIB candidates to complete training. We have a saying in the Infantry that goes, "If it ain't raining, we ain't training!" So with the correct amount of cold and rain as required by Army regulations we continued with the last day of testing.
Over all, I had 8 new EIB holders in my platoon. More importantly, I have a platoon that was trained up on tasks that they will have to use overseas in real world conditions.
Saturday began with a my standard run to main post … except it would have a couple of edits in the script. I left just as the suns' first grey light was coming out. I was able to keep my speed through the trail to main post and just felt like I had fresh legs. I pushed hard to maintain my pace and nailed 5 miles in a really good time. (35:28) I had felt good, then I suddenly had the need to make. The nearest buildings were locked, so I walked into the post headquarters and found the room to make business.
After that, I had no real steam. I tried to recapture the drive, but no dice. I it took until I was about half way back to the house before I finally felt like I could, "hurry up!" too little, too late, and my last 3.8 was on the awful side.
My youngest got her mattresses delivered today, so she'll get to sleep in her new bed now.
I replied to a bunch of threads on RunnersWorld.com, and have enclosed a few answers I gave on this post. Some of the guys I've met are pretty cool. I feel like I could help some people, as I have gotten some advice from others.
Since my older daughters birthday was during the week , we let her have a slumber party. 8 more girls joined my 2 for a full house! It actually went well, despite the later turn-in time.
Sunday, I tried to get out of the house at sun rise, but it just didn't happen. I got out at after 9:00 and had a few pains during the run that I normally would not have. My quads and hips gave me odd feelings, and I tried to mix it up some by going on a reverse route around main post. Still, I just didn't get a good feeling from my body, and I listened to my own advice, ran the way I felt, and didn't push it to hard past the bodies point of resistance.
I did complete 9.4, though I was hoping to add an extra mile loop. I have felt slight, abnormal pains in my back and legs all day long. It has made life a bit challenging physically today, and my push back my push-up challenge restart. I'm thinking of doing push-ups only during Army PT right now until I figure out what is ailing me.
I'm going to do a good stretch out after a brief warm-up tomorrow, as I wanted to get a long (15+ mile) run in.
The question: Headlamp Advice
In the trail running section of training, a runner asked about headlamps.
US Cavalry (dot com) has a PETZL military headlamp that has the different colors you need. I also mainly use a handheld called a "LED Lenser" that has 3 white, 1 blue, 1 green and 1 red. It is small. I prefer blue most of the time (like moon light) and green to check out rough spots.
White only is bad. Very, very bad as the glare on rocks and fog can blind you when you need it most.
Alternating red and blue make a great way to signal cars when you cross roads or move from trail to trail. Or to say hello to a fellow early morning runner!
Warning, the Petzl is expensive if not bought from the military posts ($90 US dollars) as the LED Lenser was about $36 at the Post Exchange. Pasted from <http://forums.runnersworld.com/eve/forums?a=tpc&s=964101347&f=698106477&m=1971058855&r=3031002165>
Next question: Need Help Running in the AM.
I'm guessing that there are some people who are not motivated to begin the day with the run. I can understand that with the chilly autumn here and cold winter days coming up, it can be difficult to work up the motivation to do it.
Weezer88 also wrote, "Does anyone have any suggestions on how to deal with the nose breathing? I can honestly say it is the worst pain I have ever felt. My wife actually used the word 'obsessed' today when she was referring to my running schedule. I'll show her by getting up at 4:30 AM tomorrow and running just over 6 miles before she even gets up. Talk about a feeling of accomplishment! I've already set my clothes aside for my morning run tomorrow!"
I responded:
Yes, you're obsessed. So are most of us!
I sometimes have to get in a some of my training runs prior to my morning PT with my platoon of Soldiers. I often have had to start at 04:00 in the AM to knock out 5-9, then lead PT with my guys.
I like to wear clothes a bit on the cold side. I wear "glove liners" which are made of polypro and thin. they are just right! I have been using a ball cap lately to keep the heat in, but I will use a fleece cap if the temperatures get down below 40.
I breath to much through my mouth, which also hurts some. I have to work on the nose breathing on my speedwork runs.
Just Do It! is the only way you can make it happen.
Pasted from <http://forums.runnersworld.com/eve/forums?a=tpc&s=964101347&f=713106038&m=9711008855&r=6341022165>
Bottom Line: Saturday: 5 in 35.28 and 3.8 more in 28:22. Sunday: 9.38 in 76:00.
Last thought of the night ... I need to start recording my mileage in kilometers. It will help me feel beter about my runs!
1 comment:
Nose breathing?
I tend to breathe in through the nose and out through the mouth.
Post a Comment