Today started with a run into work, which is 4.6 miles by the hard ball road. It was actually quite a feat considering the fight I had this morning. Not a fight because of the mileage, as 4-5 miles is something I now consider a short run.
The battle was fought on the front lines of Jim's front door. In the 2008 offensive, known as the Battle of the Front Door, the Allies have scored many victories. The hotly disputed border between Foyer and Door Mat has been the scene of many engagements, where the outcome of the battle has been decided by shear willpower. Enemy free radicals code named Sleep and Comfy Chair located in Fort Living Room are consistently threatening the Allied effort by offering rest and food supplies to weary Soldiers. By attempting to stop the Allies from reaching "the Start Point" just beyond the Front Door, they are trying to prevent the victory that Friendlies have fought so hard to win.
And win I did. I almost didn't make it though the disputed border. Then I thought that if my neighbor who works in a company not far from mine was outside, I would get a ride. Alas, I was the "all by myself", "the one", "... the loneliest number" on the road.
As I walked to the start point I knew that the inevitable was coming, and I started to run. Up the rise, past the park, deer running across the street into the trees. Up the hill. One person out walking her two dogs. Up the hill, and turning towards work. Now, I had run home the day before so unless I stole my wife's van, the only way I was going to get into work was to run it.
Today, I was armed with a high powered mini light made by Pelican - Military grade, bright as Hades, used when cars approached. I also had my red reflective light on my medium CamelBak, so I was going to be seen. No land speed records were being shattered today, as I knew that I was going to be taking my troops out on a 4 mile run during our regular physical training ... a recovery run after they had done an 8 mile ruck march yesterday morning. I hit the zone as I was running my way in. Steady pace, not a care in the world, only on slight pain coming from behind my left knee. New, different and I wondered what I had done to cause it.
I felt completely relaxed and and maintained an easy pace throughout miles 2-4. The last half mile plus, I just steady came onto Kelley Hill and into work. 40:16.
Bottom Line ... WAIT. I'm not done yet! OK, I'll continue on ...
I did my morning work and talked to all my squad and team leaders about what we needed to do today. Did I ever mention what a great group of guys I have under my charge. Freakin' outstanding Soldiers! We have a great motto ... more on that in my next post.
100 Push-up Challenge: Week 4, Day 3: 30, 22, 22, 20 and 36 with 120 second rests.
No comments:
Post a Comment