Saturday, August 16, 2008

See Food Diet!

My new unit hosted a company party to award it's previous leaders and it's Soldiers with some well deserved kudos. Now, most of the stuff that was brought out for us to eat I wouldn't say goes on a natural, healthy diet. My Lieutenant (we'll just call him LT. Dan to keep things easy) is a man of many skills. He was a medic for 4 years, before becoming an officer and he wants to open a restaurant some day. He put together some really great shrimp kabobs with different peppers skewered with them. That and the chicken I can say was where the end of clean eating was at. I had beef brisket, kielbasa, and a few barley and hops beverages. Basically, from 1400 hours until bedtime, I overate ... and had a fair amount of drink.

Some of the guys in my new platoon looked at me, already knowing my eating habits and told me, you'll be OK with the amount of running I do. I really thought I'd be in trouble for the rest of the weekend ...

... I had goaled myself at least 18 miles for this weekend. I was looking at no less than 8 miles for Saturday and around 10 to 12 miles for Sunday. Would my "Extreme Cheat Day, Cookout Edition" be the end of my goals?

I was up early this morning as the cats were angry at each other. I gave them some food, and I sucked down 12 oz. of water to begin the re-hydration process. After an hour nap, I again went to the water and the little boys room. I could have forgotten my normal nightly fiber overload ritual, but I knew I was going to need it today. Just like clockwork, bam! More water, a banana and two more trips to the throne of knowledge and I had successfully prepared myself to head out on the run.

0710 ... slowly up the hill. Not feeling it too hard. Lots of places to tone done the route from 4 to 9.4 miles. At one mile, just at 8:00 minutes. I wasn't feeling it like I should. Back off down the trail some and up around the turn by the golf course, 15:30 at 2 miles. OK, the next hill should wipe me out, by the officers houses. Mile 3, feeling good ... pick up the pace as there's a officer jogging. Past the Generals' house, catch my breath ... naw, we're good. Mile 4, Let's kick it in and get to mile 5 sub-40:00.

Around by Airborne school under the shadow of the 250 foot jump towers I hit mile 5 at 37:52. Double take, what? Now, I know that the occasional shock to the system can be good, but this was just last night that I attacked the body with all manner of drink and diet. Less than 12 hours ago I was stuffing a fresh kielbasa into my pie-hole and sucking down another Mike's Hard Pomegranate! (Yummy!)

I slowed down a bit and then built back up until mile 7 when I was going a good trot again. At mile 8, I reenter the trail taking me back to the my housing area, and I started to go into trail runner mode. Around the trees and up and down the small hills. Back on the street and down passed mile 9. My final kick, up the last hill and home ...

9.4 in 1:11:52; not far off my pace for the half Mary I did in December! I Immediately set a new goal for myself to do the same route in the next few weeks aiming for a flat 70 minute time. If I can get the 71 degree weather that I had today with no traffic and a slight breeze on main post ... boy George, I think I've got it. (Not to be confused with Boy George; that whack. Do you really want to ... hurt ... me?)

I'm a day behind on my week 4 day 3 100 Push-up Challenge which I will hit up today. If all goes well, then I should move up to week 5. I also have scheduled a diagnostic physical fitness test for the Soldiers in my platoon to do Tuesday. That way, I can work on what areas we need to improve on the most.

Plotting a new route out for a longer run tomorrow. If all goes well, I'll actually knock out 42 miles this week.

Lot's of plans; I feel so ... evil.

1 comment:

Andrew is getting fit said...

It's funny how our bodies react. Sometimes a splurge is just what we need I guess.