The pool at Paul Smith gym.I tried a new activity today which is referred to as aqua-running or, God forbid ... aqua-jogging. Sure, I've ran in a pool or at the beach before, but never actually paid much attention to it and considered it as a workout. My wife suggested it and we set this week as a date to try it out.
She met me during lunch at the Smith Gym pool with a flotation belt. I then proceeded to "run" without touching the bottom of the pool for laps.
I believe there is some benefit to the training, as it doesn't increase the actual stress on my body by running extra unnecessary mileage. It uses the same muscles as I would use running, but because it is low impact and resistance based, it uses those muscles differently. It fills a void in my cross-training, and it is the closest thing next to running allowing me to work on keeping a good form without the actual pounding.
The drawbacks are the effort brings no real visual stimulus. Tread water as quickly as you want, but you're not getting anywhere fast! I think that the resistance may actually help with training for quick turn over as the resistance keeps your legs from moving at full speed.
I'm thinking that on days that PT runs at work are not so great, this is a way to train up without adding "junk" miles onto my calendar.
No the 4 I'm going to run tonight ... those miles are for me!
No comments:
Post a Comment