Wednesday, August 6, 2008

HIIT Training

I read an article on HIIT (High Intensity Interval training) today on the Complete Runners Network titled Not Such a HIIT. As I read through it, I just don't think this was the intent of the original HIIT. I responded to the article and a lot of others feel that the HIIT training as it was taught to us before was like a good track workout, and like like the fad workout that is referred to in the article. The article stated that a new type of HIIT claimed you could "...keep burning extra calories even after the workout has ended..."

I replied: I’ve often used HIIT training for myself and my troops but I have never heard of some of the “facts” that the article talks about.
The way I learned and used HIIT training was in 45 second to 1 minute intervals of sprints and 1 to 1:30 minutes of high jogging recoveries. My baseline was 6 HIIT’s and I worked up to no more than 20 HIIT’s. Warm-up consisted of a 1/2 mile to mile slow run and after the HIIT’s, I did 3 circuits of core and a cool down slow run of a 1/2 mile to 1 mile.
I have never believed you could burn calories after the exercise, unless it’s just because you can’t get your heart rate down!
Maybe I learned HIIT wrong, but after a minute long sprint, I don’t think I did.


Most of the interval training I've done in the past revolved around the HIIT principles, and have gotten good results on the 2 mile run, if performed once a week in addition to a regular exercise regiment. I use speed work and HIIT's a lot on Wednesday to break up the week and give the guys something different. Today's example was a mix between last man up runs, then a fartlek run using telephone poles as we made our way back to our formation area.

I understand that the article is trying to get a point across that you can't by into a program that isn't going to work or is too hard to perform, but I think that the article comes across as blasting the whole concept of HIIT and not exploring what could be done differently. If performed correctly, HIIT will help the individual out in speed and muscular strength. As part of a weight-loss program, it could help and should be included as part of a complete diet and exercise program. HIIT training is not the complete answer, and I think that if the writer of the article would have explained it more, the article would have been more complete.

Keep running!

100 Pushups Challenge: Wk 3, Day 2 - 27, 19, 19, 15 and 25 with 90 second rests.

No comments: