As I was passing by the cannons at Artillery Field I could feel that this run felt worse than most of the runs I had been doing lately. Only about 1 mile into it, and I felt that what would get me through this run was more will power than leg power.
It was a hot day in the sun and the "real feel" of the temperatures was 91. Not a bad day compared to the temperatures in Iraq. Even in May when I came home, it was ridiculously hot during the day. The trouble was that I was not in Iraq, I had been in the office most of the day, and even though I was drinking water, it wasn't enough. In the last hour of my afternoon, I sucked down about 16 oz's of water and some natural applesauce to try and get more fuel into the body.
I changed into the Army PT uniform, shorts and not so technical, circa 1997 t-shirt. From the back of the company area I left and up past the motor pool areas I ran into a Soldier that had been in some of my earlier units. It was only 1:20 into the run, so i stopped and talked with him about 3 minutes. Then it was off again, towards Arty Field. Maybe it was predetermined in my mind that this run was going to be a bit "off", but no matter. The heat was beaming down and really messing with either my mind or my speed; resulting in it messing with my run.
I really do feel bad inside for talking about the heat. In March, when SGT Shelly and I ran the outer perimeter of our FOB at 1700 and the temps were already in the high 90's, then I should have been complaining. But I am stationed and work in Georgia, often outside and when I drive around I do so with the windows down. I should be used to BOB (Big Orange Ball) trying his best to bake me.
WOW, Bob was sapping my strength. I tried to power on the small rises, but could only keep up the speed for a short while. I'm glad the drivers were being courteous, as they all moved over a bit as they saw me running on the edge of the road. Mile 3 was by a busy intersection, but I was able to run the grass on the far side of it and not cross any streets until I got farther down the road. When I got to the top f the hill that leads down into my housing area, I tried to again pick up the speed, but it didn't seem as if I was really getting anywhere faster.
I passed on playground were all the kids started clapping and cheering, which was pretty cool. I could have taken a couple of different routes to add a bit more mileage but I had decided between mile 2 and 3 that this was a run to complete, not to compete. Different thoughts went through my mind ... what ever mileage I got today would be fine. Tomorrow morning, If I can cut of a bit of the distance, even better. Then I had a crazy thought. If you complete this today, you can start doing it everyday. Crazy talk.
Though I was very happy to get home, more so than most runs, I had good news to share with my wife that the Army is going to perform LASIK on my eyes early next week. I'd wanted to get it done between my OIF 3 and OIF V deployments, but it didn't happen. I was very excited and hope my check on Friday in Fort Stewart, GA (near Savannah on the east coast) goes well.
I also thought to myself that I could have gone father. What nonsense my mind will tell my body to make it perform better.
The bottom line: 4.6 miles in 37:30 @ 8:10 pace. 7.2 miles this week, so far.
2 comments:
Congrats on getting the LASIK. It's something I really want but its not going to happen for a few years yet.
Thanks for you kind words. Unfortunately, I have to wait for LASIK as there was a paperwork mix up and I'm not going this month. I'll have to wait as they send a group each month.
Post a Comment