Thursday, August 28, 2008

More Zzzz's


It's got to be an early night for me as tomorrow the Soldiers under my charge and many other young Infantry go out in competition for the coveted Expert Infantryman's Badge. Tomorrow will be their first chance to perform a 12 mile foot march with field pack. They must complete the movement in 3 hours (or less!) The regular Army standard is 4 hours.

It may not seem like much to a long distance runner, but how many long distance runners have to wear full uniform, boots, helmet, ruck sack and carry a rifle? 12 miles takes on a new meaning ... especially without an MP3 player!

I'm going out to jog most of it and keep my guys motivated. Over 600 Soldiers were I work will attempt to compete for the honor, but many will not be able to perform tasks at the higher than regular Army standard.

I completed my tests a few months after I got married; earning my EIB in September of 1994. There were very few of us that made it, and I was very proud.

Alas, our weapons draw is early in the morning, and our march begins at 04:30 hours ... so I must go pass out.

Next goal: 12 mile foot march in less than 2:20. I hope not to pull my back out of whack!

Next Race: Oktoberfest 10K: Oct 17th at Ft. Bennings' own Uchee Creek (Thank You, Household 6!)

My running bottom line: 1 mile warm-up, 400ish timed Intervals at 1:1 recovery time x's 5, drilled sprints x's 2, 1 mile cool down run. About 40 minutes.

No comments: