Friday, September 12, 2008

Four To Make Me Sore

Rifle marksmanship was the order of business planned for today to continue preparing our Soldiers for the EIB, (on Wiki). My Soldiers who still needed to qualify "Expert" with their weapons drew them out and headed to the range. The others that had met the requirement joined me on Main Post for a lighter session of PT (Physical Training). Finally, some good ol' PT. Of the 6 Soldiers that were with me, 5 have to perform the 12 mile EIB road march Friday morning.

I executed a series of stretches and light calisthenics, then pulled a page out from the 100 push-ups challenge. We basically did something similar to week 3, day 1 for 5 sets at 25, 20, 15, 15 and then as many push-ups as they could perform. It was actually pretty good, and I could see who was performing push-ups well, and who needed work. I then did a series of crunches that activates all of the abby's.

We split up to get ready for range operations, and I looked over at the Stewart Field track. Very few people were there this morning, and I knew that there were a lot of reasons I needed to run ... NOW! The day would be busy. Hurricane Ike should be bringing rains to our area. It had been just over 3 days since I was able to run. I was re hydrated after three days out in the sun on the ranges.

I swigged some Gatorade down, tossed the bottle back into my car and headed over to the track. I didn't know how many miles I was going to go, but I knew it would be at least three. Mile one was pretty quick and about half-way through is when I noticed the sky turning colors from black to blue. I came around the track and sped up for the second mile. I felt pretty good and tried to maintain the quick pace for most of mile three. I then realised that it was time that most people were leaving physical training and heading home, so I gave it a fourth lap at more of a cool down pace.

I felt little aches and pains during the run that didn't bother me too much, but I equate to not being able to make runs for the last few days. It felt good to have run this morning and I really needed it. I wish that I didn't have to jam it into such a tight schedule as i really needed to run longer. It was almost like a tempo run, as I was keeping up a good speed throughout the run. I really needed to have a run tonight, but it started to rain and I have to be up early tomorrow to make sure my guys going for the EIB foot march are "squared away."

If I plan it right, they will start their foot march, and I can go running before the rest of the Soldiers come it for regular PT. But HouseHold6 can verify, that I do need a run as I am in a bear of a mood tonight. (Sorry, babe!)

Bottom line: 4 miles in 29:20.5; Splits: Mile 1 - 7:12, Mile 2 - 7:03, Mile 3 - 7:21, Mile 4 - 7:42

Never Forget! 9-11-01

Forever Spartans! SGT Blake Stephens and SPC Kyle Little. 8 May, 2007 (These articles don't do these great Soldiers justice.)

No comments: