It had been a long week of ups and downs since hurting my right calf on a long run Tuesday. As the week went on, I knew that I could shake this small injury and get back on track rather quickly. I tried too hard on Wednesday so I quickly figured out a new plan. Rest and forced slower times on easy runs would be the key to a quicker recovery.After yesterdays slow run, my leg really felt better and it stayed good until the end of the day after I'd been outside running my EIB station. I slept restlessly again, and found myself moving to downstairs to my recliner as I couldn't stay comfortable in bed. Waking up this morning, I found myself with no leg pain and only minor back pain, so I decided that I would get out of the house slightly after dawn.
I gave my plan for the Virtual 1 Mile Challenge this weekend a Green light. The little voices in my head yelled, "Go, Go!," so just after 0700 I headed out to the 1 mile physical fitness track on Main Post. The traffic on the track was light so I wouldn't have to bump around a bunch of other runners as Stewart Field was being used by a couple of groups conducting runs and a few people training for foot marches with their field packs on.
I thoroughly stretched my calf and IT band. Then I jogged about 150 meters to warm up to my starting line. Again, I stretched the same problem spots. There was no need to mess up anything today. If I could run without pain, I would; if it was too much, I would slow down and back off. There was no pain during the stretches and very little tightness. I was elated, to say the least.
I jogged back about 100 meters, then turned around towards the starting line jogging forward. Timer ready, finger on the button, I started to speed up. 20 meters to the starting line I was at a regular run pace. My wife questioned whether it was right to start out already moving, but with still nursing my calf, I countered that there was no way I was going to go from 0-10 in a one second sprint that could mess up my leg.
Mission Control, we have have lift-off!
The first quarter mile was a blur. Passed two foot marchers and a guy on the side of the track. At a quarter mile I tried to slow down just a bit and settle in, but my form took a beating. My left leg was kicking out more than kicking up, I must have looked like some type of fool. As I tried to correct the kick, I felt myself slowing down, so I just decided not to mess with it and go for the speed.
At a half mile I slowed just a bit more to and worked the stride a bit. Now I got the kick in check and I was able to adjust my speed accordingly through a turn and around two slower runners. The third quarter mile seemed a bit like a roller coaster.
Then I hit the last quarter and I started steadily accelerating and came around the last turn wide to avoid a jogger. The home stretch, I started using up my fuel. The last straight away seems to drag out. The end is right there, but it seems to get farther away as I got closer.
As my left foot crossed the line I hit the timer button, started to slow down and catch my breath.. My fastest recorded 1 mile time PR; just off my goal. I can't be unhappy at all with 1 mile in 6:00.9.
Reid, Thanks for the challenge. Shéamus, Andrew, Michelle J and HouseHold6: Thanks for all your kind words! Knock it out for yourselves; it's fun. Really!
Next up: Long Easy Run, late night or early morning.
4 comments:
WOW!!! A 6:00.9!!! What does that even feel like?? When i was running my mile i thought i was doing an 8 min mile, thats how fast i thought i was going!!! Can you imagine my face when i realized it was over a 9 min pace???
Dude you rock!! Great great time!!
Michelle
Excellent job! I'm glad your week had a happy ending. Thanks so much for participating. It really means a lot to have you out there running with me. Enjoy your long, easy run.
Thanks,
Michelle J: What does it feel like? It's odd, because it feels pretty fast in the begining (before my lungs wanted to shut down) but at the same time I could feel all these wierd little things going on with my form.
Reid: I like to have goals to constantly reach for, so the 1 mile idea was really inspiring. Keeps me on my toes!
Happy Running.
Great stuff! I loved that report.
I wish I had a track near my house so that I could do a mile like you do!
My last fastest mile came in at 6:45 so I'll have to try and beat that this week.
Post a Comment