Monday, September 15, 2008

Fun Run

Bottom line: 10.7 miles in 1 hour, 27 minutes and 5 seconds (actual moving time). Average pace of 8:09 per mile. (I was actually out the door for 10 minutes under 2 hours!)

Sight seeing: 10 cyclists, 2 walkers, 4 runners (One I saw twice and the other was with a dog.)
When I arrived home, HouseHold6 brought me a banana and a large bottle of cold water. I had just finished off my squeeze bottle of Gatorade in the parking lot while I did post run stretches. My knee was not hurting much, but my right calf and IT band felt tight.

As I crossed along the trail from main post, I thought about how mentally I need to prepare myself to push harder through this part of the run. The small uphill jaunt is a place where I feel my legs slowing down, though I know that it is only a short distance from main post to the top of Bouton Hieghts.

I splashed water on my neck and head, as I stopped to get some water at the restroom shack on the golf course. Only about 1 and ¾ miles left to go and it had been just over an hour. I wondered about when we would get nicer weather here in Georgia as the humid morning had soaked me through. If I ever had to go into a AAFES Shoppette to get something, they would look at me like I was mad, as after about 4 to 5 miles a am usually completely drenched.

Today was fun in the aspect that I wasn’t so worried about time, and somehow the time seemed to just flow naturally. I didn’t care about my watch only to stop and start it when I was taking a picture and trying to avoid the sun in the shot.

Pictures from today’s run.

http://picasaweb.google.com/macmaximus/FortBenning#

When I got out the door, I set up the GPS and took a good swig from my Gatorade. While inside, I’d packed my Camelbak with my cell phone, a Clif Bar, Gatorade in a squeeze bottle and a water resistant camera. I worked out a simple plan that I would let my body decide the pace and weave through the historic buildings and sights of Fort Benning. My goal was to just go out and see as much of the main post as possible without killing myself.

*Dear Readers. I tried something different in the writing of this post. “Don’t hate, appreciate!” the complexities and intricacies of the English language!

No comments: