Monday, November 17, 2008

Am I Blue?

From reading posts of others training for the WDW marathon, it would sound like I am on track and about even with others who are getting ready for the event. To me, this week was another roller coaster which started strong, but hit the runner's blues somewhere around Thursday and Friday when morning rains halted what should have been an easy 6 miler with the platoon.

So Saturday, I knew that I needed a good, but easy run to get back into the swing of things. Even though the mileage was not that bad, I just didn't get that good feeling of accomplishment. I think that my ill feelings have something to do with how well I ran the 9.4 miles on Tuesday. I broke so many of my normal times during that training run, I really had no where else to go but to settle down for the next few runs.

So Saturday wasn't a bad run. In fact, it was too fast, as I need to ease up a bit on my speed so I can start having a reserve for longer runs. What I keep reading is that doing long runs at an almost full pace all the time will not get desired results. I fought through some pains (weakness) yesterday that I had not felt in awhile. Though I am completing my longer runs, I need to have some runs in my training that are actually slower.

What an oxymoron … I need to run ... slower.

This morning I woke up feeling better with no pain in my legs. I calculated that I needed to do a run at a pace around 8 minute miles, try not to stress anything out, and attempt to do 20 miles with loops that could return me back to the house. If I planned those loops at 10 and 15 miles, then I would have an escape route back up plan.

I was right on target at 5 miles, with a 40 minute time. I then planned on taking the trails up to Kelley Hill where I work. That would still keep me near my emergency plan, and let me pass by the cleanest port-o-johns on the post! Unfortunately, I hit a lot of slick mud at about a mile into the trails. I turned around and went through main post splitting it in half. I then rejoined my regular loop and continued it one more time.

I felt some different pains on this run, but none really hit me too hard that I couldn't deal with them. I continued on and had to push a little bit during the last 5 mile to keep up my pace. I wasn't using a GPS, so a lot of my pace was actually by feel.

My plan cut it very close to 20 miles, and I could have ran extra loops around the 1 mile track at Stewart Field, but I planned on catching some time with my family before church.

So now 20 miles later, I am feeling a lot better about running again and I feel like the blues are over. Hopefully I can get a trail run in the next few days and then I'll be back on track! The best part about my plan is that If I can keep that pace up on race day, I'll complete the marathon within 3 hours 20 minutes.

Bottom Line:

+++Saturday: 10.38 in 1:20:45 (@ avg 7:45 pace)

++++Sunday: 20.06 in 2:42:11 (@ avg 8:07 pace)

Forum I'm visiting lately: DisneyRunning.com

Happy Running!

2 comments:

Lily on the Road said...

A good trail run makes all the difference in the world, glad you were able to kick off the blues...

Unknown said...

Glad you were able to kick the blues!!! I like your escape plan... Opps!!! Looks like you will do well for WDW marathon.