Today's long run didn't end up being quite as long as I wanted it to be. I got some lessons out of the run that will help me, though. I can be disappointed with the results, but I can't be upset with the learning process; unless it's a pass or fail exam! Lessons learned
1. Pilates has been explained to me as a girly great way to help a runners body out. My wife has been certified and will begin teaching Pilates in addition to her circuit and step classes. I became HouseHold-6's guinea pig for her to practice on this weekend.
a. Never do Pilates before a long run.
b. I didn't feel anything bad while doing it, but by mile 9, my body was screaming in new places. My left hip and back were trying to murder me.
c. Take a Pilates or Yoga class during a break during the week.
2. The temperatures have been in the low 30's and I have had to put on "silk weight" micro-fleece long pants and shirts. Today was a shift in the weather of 10 degrees higher than yesterday. When I left the house, I warmed up much quicker than normal.
a. Don't over dress for the weather.
b. Check the temperatures and wind before breaking down the door.
3. My hydration/refuel plan was not as refined as usual because of the lower temps. Even though I never got dry mouth or keeled over with a heat stroke, it is a training tool that I need to continue working.
a. Supplement known water points with planed sports drinks.
b. 30-45 minutes between water points may be stretching it too much.
c. In the lane of refueling, work on developing when I want to use my gels. I used a gel from mile 13-16. Maybe holding a PowerGel Double Latte for that long may not work.
4. Slow is not always slow. I realized that even in the later part of my run when it felt like I was running really slow, I was still holding down a fair pace. Painful and agonizing, but fair.
Hopefully you've read HouseHold-6's guest post. She really has an awfully great way of telling the story from her misguided point of view. When I got home from today's foolishness, I started stretching out in the front yard. Then I heard the door open and the most wonderful woman I know asked me if I needed anything. Water, banana? What a great wife.
She could have said, "HURRY UP!"
Bottom Line: 10.02 miles in 2:25:26. My average overall pace was an 8:04. My quickest miles were 4 to 10 at an average 7:40 pace. Miles 10 to 16 were at 8:29, and I finished up with an 8:04 pace.
2 comments:
I think those are all valuable lessons we can all learn from. Thanks for the kind words on my latest post.
Thanks! I need to apply them to my training and get focused on the objective ... 10 weeks until "M"-Day.
Post a Comment