Action: Conduct warm-up run, 6x440 sprints with recovery jogs, and cool down run.
Conditions: Given a sticky 70 degree Fort Benning morning, an appropriate area to run, motivated Soldiers in PT uniforms.
I didn't have most of my Gazelles today, as I was planning on taking them out on a longer speed work run with 2x1600's in it. But alas, I had a far sprinkling of Soldiers throughout the range of running that were motivated to conduct physical fitness.
The warm up jog to our sprint site was a little less than I would have liked, but I have to work with what I'm given, so after a 3/4 mile jog we started our sprints. I actually started them off with 210 meter sprints and full length recoveries, then we started with the 440's with 210 recovery jogs. It wore us down but was a good session and everyone was getting something out of it. By the time we had completed our Sprints and started to head back to our formation area, we had been running-jogging for a solid 24 minutes. On top of that, I added an extra turn on our way back to the parking lot, so we got a mile run in going back at a pace of 8:50, and then one more sprint that was about 150 meters.
It is sometimes hard to balance what is good for the troops and good for me in my training at the same time, but luckily today the choices were easy to make and I was able to work the entire group.
The other task for me is that I must lead the Soldiers throughout PT. The good thing is that I plan for moving them into controlled positions and I am able to direct the action from almost anywhere that I am at.
The best part was handing out little tidbits of advice to all the younger learning runners who haven't learned their form yet. Sharing the knowledge to them gives me one of the highest feeling of satisfaction.
HOOAH!
Best mapped distance: 3 3/4 miles; time running: Troops - 33 minutes, Me 35 minutes (Had to pick up a straggler.)
No comments:
Post a Comment