I'm back on the Running-Coaster again!
It's good to be on a ride like the Millennium Force at Cedar Point in OH. (See info here: Wiki, or video here: YouTube1 and YouTube2.)
After the brief thunderstorms that we had last night, it was time for my body and mind to meld and do an easy recovery run. Let the body know it was still going to have to perform for me and give me some work.
After discussing the route with Household 6 and her gently prodding me to change the route to avoid Dixie Road on Main Post at night, I made my way to Smith Gym and parked near the Stewart Field 1 mile track.
I had picked an almost 5 mile route and if I had a been short, I could run the extra mileage on the track and get a full five miles. I set out and was not attempting anything other than an easy recovery run. It was a great night full of electricity ... as the scattered turnderstorms fired some
At less than a mile out I reminded myself to listen to my body. I felt like I was going too fast, but my legs and lungs felt good and I continued to move out with a quickness. Such a great night, and after 2100 hours, the traffic is so light it almost seems a if Fort Benning has stepped back in time...
...until I hit the Vilbert Ave near Doughboy Stadium where two cars in a row gave me just enough room to jump onto the curb. I figure it must be that the eyes of the drivers were lower than the red light on my wrist and that they confused my red light with the stop light comming up that doesn't exist. Or perhaps since the skies were overcast and it was so dark out, my light could hardly be seen through the darkness. No matter, as they were the only two vehicles that came close to me the whole time.
At about mile 3, I started to get drizzed on and the showers felt great. The rain was not very hard at all and kept me cooler on the 80 degree night. When I got down to the track, I could have just cruised up to the car and called it 5 miles, but I turned onto the grey soft dirt and continued on.
At 5 miles I was under 42:00 minutes. I wasn't pushing it and I was under 41 minutes. I was under 40 minutes! 39:09 and with plenty of enery coursing through me I started a trek around the track. I can't say I was fresh, but I was feeling good ... and I wanted to see what I could get for 6 miles. No, I wanted to see what I could get for a 10K!
I pushed, then slowed a bit ... not to much, don't die out to soon, then I hit the half mile mark. I needed a bit more and I started to move. Over 6 miles, only point 2 to go.
47:16 ... Wow, so close to the mark I made in my last 10K race.
Durring my walk to the car, I was feeling like I was cloud nine and cloud nine was showing me love by showering me off. I could have kept going, but I'd just got done with the best recovery run I could have ever had.
I recovered for a bad day and I was back on the coaster again.
Buy the numbers: Average Pace: 7:38
Mile 1 - 8:07 Uphill start and warming up.
Mile 2 - 7:32 Getting into my stride and feeling good; played a little dodge car
Mile 3 - 7:18
Mile 4 - 7:38 An new road for me by the Airborne School that was very dark
Mile 5 - 7:33 I'm loveing these numbers!
Mile 6.2 - 8:06
No comments:
Post a Comment