21:00 (9:00 PM, National Guard time.)
Spoiler: This post may take you as long to read as it took me to make this run!
Maybe I really shouldn't be running this late in the evening? I just changed from a darker shirt in a light colored tech shirt, and I grabbed a small reflective band that lights up bright red and can clip to clothing or bags. I put that around my right wrist, and clipped it onto itself making a bracelet that oncoming traffic could see. After carefully considering my options, I started head out for a route I had used before that was right at 5 miles. Up I started plodding along 1st Cav road trying to get my breathing to match my pace as I headed out, not trying to break any records.
I passed one group of teen age youth at a playground about 1/2 mile down the road, and the only thing I heard from them were, "Hey man, can I have your red light?" I kept running as I didn't have the patience for their mindless banter. "Awe, man!" I heard as I went by.
The smells of a late cook-out lingered in the air as I continued up and over one of the many speed-bumps that line the road. I wondered what they had cooked on the grill as it smelled like beef to me. I no longer eat cattle beef, and I thought about what I would have grilled.
I passed a couple of larger ladies out with their strollers going up the hill. Said a, "hello," and continued. Their older children were just ahead of them, and as I moved about 20 meters ahead of them, I heard the young boy approximately 7 years old yelling something to his sisters and his footsteps on the sidewalk chasing behind me. I was quite surprised he followed for about 2 blocks, even with his mother yelling at him.
I encountered another woman out for her brisk walk, as she had her hands up high and was moving down the hill. We said hello and I continued up to the trail that would take me along Dixie Road to main post. It was at this time a looked up and saw how deep blue the sky was and the stars through the tree lined street - and I remembered that I prefer to think of myself as a trail runner who just can't find enough trails to run on. I hadn't even hit one mile yet.
I jumped the curb and headed on the trail. It was darker by the trees and I could just make out the rocks on the trail. across the trail were lots of pine leave piles that looked to be branches in the night light, so I told myself to get a good pace and look out for the two small gullies that I would have to cross, as there is no reason for me to get an ankle injury because I started a run so late. I navigated the gullies and finally came to the road that splits through the golf course.
It continues at a slight incline and a long winding turn. I encountered my first two cars along this road, and both moved over to give me room, so the small band on my wrist was working.
I turned up the road that heads to the golf course clubhouse. At this time I realized that I was actually moving at a pretty good pace and I was happy. On the left side of the road are the houses occupied by Lieutenant Colonels and Colonels. As I passed one, it looked as if a catering service was packing up a couple of kegs for a formal party as most of the men were wearing a specific type of white shirt. A closer smell of the beer coming from the residence was proof that there must have been a high up mandatory fun fest there.
I went by Running Avenue (no joke) and went by a young couple that were stopping with their dog who was answering the call of nature on the edge of grass. Along the monuments and by the old Infantry museum is were I encountered my next set of vehicles. none to happy to share the road, and only edging over by about a foot, I hopped the curb and let them go by. No usually I politely wave or salute a passing vehicle that slows down and/or moves over. I just continued along my way and thought about a couple of other hand gestures I could have used, but didn't. I am a very polite runner. The bird is reserved for the golfers who sped by me Sunday morning at 06:58 not giving an inch of the road because these retired grumpy men needed to make tee off time at 07:00. I'm glad that I'm going to sell all the golf balls back to your club and keep your greens fees high, you old geezers! ...OK, I'm moving on.
Finally, a decline and down past the youth center and the pre-school, past the one-time Infantry Headquarters and by the main post shopping area. It was about now that I felt that urge...the you need to find a place to stop and make. Luckily, I knew the place. Within a 1/2 mile was where I had once gone to Drill Sergeant school. A large open latrine would be there, and hopefully it would be stocked as students from other schools have to maintain it. Just have to get there.
Luckily, as I cut through the grass in the dark to save some time, the students had picked up all the branches that would have been there after the storms over the last couple days. Again, Luck was shining down upon me as it was open, stocked, clean and there was even hand soap at the sink.
I took a pause for the cause.
Now, when I headed back out with a little cold water doused over my head, I thought I'd be able to get back stride pretty quickly. It seemed as if the heater had been left on in the latrine so even this humid, still 80 something degree night felt cool after coming out of there. I hit the road after making my way out the schools parking lot and still nothing. At this time I thought about turning back towards home and getting in about 5.5, but to turn right, just that extra bit would get me around 6.5 I figured.
I make the right. Soon I felt the energy come back into my legs and I was going at a speed close to the good clip I had earlier. Around the turn that heads to the Airborne school and I got another nice decline; one that doesn't pound you and lets you really get some speed going. All good things must come to and end and I turned on my return journey past the 250 foot Airborne training towers, "The Mighty Ungawa!"
I reflected that almost 19 years ago, August of 1989 I was there, running around the towers, not knowing where I was going ... or what I was really doing ... but I was there.
Just past the intersection and gas station I looked down at my watch and saw it was just after 38:00 minutes. I have been usually hitting 5 miles at around 40 minutes, so I reminded myself to look at my watch in a quick minute. I started to lull off, and just as I was about to get to the post car wash, I realized that I had slowed down some ... that then caused me to look at my watch, 40:15. I would remember this point so when I checked my distances I could see if I was hitting my natural mark for 5 miles. Turns out I was just about 15 seconds short of the 5 mile mark.
Up by Burger King and Taco Johns I speed and I noticed that the smell of the food did not invoke any feelings of hunger in my belly. I have not had any fast food in 3 weeks except for two slices of pizza at my bosses going away party that he was throwing specifically for my group of Soldiers. (Craving a Mountain Dew as I type right now, and Saturday is my off day!)
I was moving out pretty well as I passed the Benning Club. My girls go to swimming lessons there twice a week and I thought about going around the pool side of the building, but instead cut over to the other side of the old Infantry HQ's (a place now called WHINSEC) and as I crossed the road put up my right arm to see a reflective band.
WAIT! Where was the light? I hit the switch and nothing happened. No blink, no red light, nothing. At least the band itself reflected off the headlights of the car that started to come towards me, but now all I had was a 1 x 8 inch orange reflective band and a light colored shirt to catch motorists eyes. I had the light back when I crossed by the BK, so I deduced that me sweat must have shorted it out. Now I know that it's not waterproof! The rest of the run, I would hold it up high when I came near a hill or saw/heard a vehicle coming.
I decided not to take Running Ave up to the old Infantry museum as it has a steep hill, and opted for the gradual hill on another road instead. I would have a killer of a steep hill right at the end of my run no-matter which way I went home now, unless I tacked on extra mileage and went back down to the golf course.
I was listening to my body and I'm sure it said, "Dude, I feel like taking it easy now would help me later." As I plugged by a street that would have offered me a short-cut, I felt myself start to slow down. I had to tell myself to speed back up and take the upcoming hill. The steam was starting to leave but I was still doing OK when I hit the top to make my turn. Through a small residential area that makes something like a "S" turn I zoomed, and found myself at the top of my running roller coaster.
Stonewall road. Steep. Downhill. Like the first car on the coaster, the gravity was pulling on me to go faster. I kept it controlled and used the speed at the bottom to turn onto Marne Road and run the 1/4 flat at full tilt, and then I rounded the last corner, back onto...
1st Cav Div Rd. The uphill seems to hit you almost as soon as you turn onto the road. I let off the throttle and used my strength to power up. Steeper it gets as it starts to wind around. Up, up, up to the crest and then the flats, over the first speed bump. Finally, as I get to the second speed bumps and I am less than 100 meters from my turn onto my street, do I catch my breath.
And when I did get my breath, my body told me, "Let's keep going!" It was now just about 10 PM, and Household 6 was expecting me back about 10 minutes ago. I listened to reason and finished up strong rolling into the court and grabbing a water bottle off my car.
No comments:
Post a Comment